Landing, Moving to Canada, SIN

Moving to Canada: Getting Your Canadian Social Insurance Number

One of the first things that you need to accomplish once you land in your Canadian province is to obtain a Social Insurance Number (SIN) from a Service Canada office. It is important to have one in order to be able to work in Canada or to have access to various government programs and benefits. Each member of the family will need to have his or her own SIN.

We were lucky enough that the nearest Service Canada office from our rental was just two blocks away. Once we arrived from the airport and grabbed a bite to eat for lunch, we went straight to the Service Canada office right away. We checked in with the receptionist and were each given application forms to fill out while waiting to be called. While filling out the forms, we noticed that there were several computers around the area. We found out later that one can use these computers anytime. You can even print and photocopy documents for free! Definitely a big help for new immigrants like us. 

It wasn’t a busy day so we were called not long after. Along with the application forms, we also presented our COPR and our passports. She verified the information written on our application forms, punched in some keys on the computer, et voila, we got our SIN. She printed out a form with all our information on it for ours to keep and made sure we knew of the policies surrounding the protection of our SIN.

Canadian Social Insurance Number

Moving to Canada will be a daunting task for anyone and If there’s anything you want to ask, feel free to leave a comment below and I’ll get back to you as soon as I can!

7 thoughts on “Moving to Canada: Getting Your Canadian Social Insurance Number”

  1. I really appreciate your enlightenment. Life is all about decision and commitment. So for a family of four how can we cross over?

  2. Hi. Great info in all your posts. Did you need to give a phone number? Just wondering what you put as contact number considering you just landed?

    1. Hi Mon!

      Sorry for the late reply, was pretty busy over the holidays.

      I hope you and your family had a wonderful Christmas and a good start to 2018.

      As for your question, I don’t remember being asked for any contact details when we got our SIN. I know we didn’t have our Canadian numbers at this time, so not having one shouldn’t be an issue.

      Hope this helps! 🙂

  3. No hurries. Hope you keep writing because we’ll keep reading. Thank you for your response and have a wonderful year ahead as well!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *